Non-fungible tokens (NFTs) are going to be increasingly important with the rise in time spent on metaverses, Jayant Sinha, a member of parliament and Chairman of India’s Standing Committee on Finance, told The Economic Times on Monday.
See related article: India to make life hell for crypto investors: MP
- Sinha’s comments come at a time when the Indian government is yet to formulate a policy on cryptocurrency.
- The government continues to consult with industry stakeholders while the introduction of the cryptocurrency bill has been delayed.
- Through regulations, the government needs to protect the interest of cryptocurrency investors, ensure a level-playing field for market participants and prevent illicit uses, Sinha said.
- Cryptocurrencies and blockchain have the potential to increase the speed and efficiency of remittances, Sinha said.
- Blockchain and distributed ledger technology (DLT) will help India grow and maintain its leadership in the field of gaming, animation, and metaverse technologies, according to Sinha.
- As people spend more time in the metaverse, the use-cases for NFTs and crypto assets are going to increase over time, he said.
- “…there are many different ways in which blockchain and the metaverse can play a very important role in India’s economic growth,” Sinha said.
See related article: Coinbase snafu sets the cat among the crypto pigeons in India